Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Can't is a 4-letter word

Recently, someone asked me what I can't do because of MS. I answered with the basics; I can't walk long distances, I can't go up and down stairs, etc. However, after thinking about it, I realize that I should have said that in actuality, there is nothing I "can't" do.
     There are things that are difficult to do. Walking long distances is hard and I get tired and my legs hurt. But, I can rest along the way, I can take medication to alleviate the pain, and I can make sure I have my cane with me. If it's too much, I may feel really awful the next day. But why should that mean I "can't" do it?
     Life is full of choices. Suffering from MS is no different. All that is needed is an informed decision. There are many medications to alleviate MS symptoms. Some have side affects, so when I want to do something that I know could cause a flare up of symptoms or wipe me out for a day, I have to think about what I can take and what that would do and then weigh it all out to make the best decision.
     So, I can do anything...well, maybe I can't climb Mt. Everest...but I doubt I could have done that before the MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment